Our BMW 700
November 18, 2016
After months and months of looking I found there was a 700 in San Francisco for sale. The car was formerly owned by Vasek Polak and upon his death it passed on to Henry Schmidt at BMW of San Francisco. It had been storred indoors since 1997.
Here is the post.
Rumor was the asking price was $22,500 which I thought was a bit high for a standard coupe. I had to walk away.
A few cars went through ebay and one which didn't make reserve in 2013, but went to $13K was relisted starting at $10K with no reserve in 2016. I put $16,500 on it but it went for $22,300! The seller had a second one that was ground up restored which I could have had for $20K, but now he wanted what the auction car brought.
Seeing that the price was going up I had to recalibrate my thinking.
March 25, 2017
All told, the X-Polak car looked complete and original. I had to make an offer, a bit higher than I wanted to, but it seems the value of these little gems was on the rise. I made my offer and it was accepted!
May 10, 2017 (82804)
The car arrived from California. Had a little trouble getting it off the truck. Seems the shift know was upside down and with a mushy shifter, I kept getting third instead of reverse. Finally off the truck. Put antique tags on it two days later and I took a few photos of it next to my Honda Fit. The odometer showed 82804 miles as delivered.
May 18, 2017
Found an original jack on ebay!
May 15, 2017
There was something wrong with the shifter. I suspected the rubber joint at the transaxle. Not the case. The transaxle had a very nice all metal universal. So, Pulled the shift mechinism out and discovered one of the ball races displaced by about 1/8". Pressed it back to the correct location and that was that. (or Bob's your Uncle...)
May 27, 2017
Replaced passenger side door handle.
May 30, 2017
Found replacement rubber bumpers for boot and bonnet and replaced same.
Click here to get yours!
June 4, 2017 (82874)
The motor hadn't been running right and bogged bad at full throttle opening. I suspected the condenser. I set the points gap, the timing and replaced the condenser. It was not the condenser. While I was in there I inspected the brushes and thy all looked OK with plenty of life.
June 10, 2017 (82911)
Replaced driver's side window door sill rubber. That was a bear to get slipped into the dovetail!
June 20, 2017 (82915)
Replaced the front shocks with NOS. Also the rubber spring that goes above the shock and the bumper that goes in the suspension knuckle.
June 29, 2017 (82923)
Replaced the rear shocks with NOS.
July 1, 2017 (82943)
The car came with an aftermarket Franz oil filter. This then is routed to an aftermarket oil cooler that sits above the engine cooling air intake. The oil line from the engine to the filter was routed between the firwall and engine tin and I didn't like that it was getting pinched there so I enlarged a firewall hole and re-routed the line through it.
July 22, 2017 (83000)
Not sure the reserve valve was working correctly, I carried a spare gallon of gas. Well, when the engine sputtered, I pulled the knob and after a few seconds she kicked back in.
Just to be sure, I pushed the reserve knob back in and sure enough the engine starved. Pulled it out again and made it to the gas station. I only put non-ethanol in Baby.
August 9, 2017 (83018)
Changed the oil and replaced the Franz filter with their synthetic item. This filter system can use a roll of toilet paper for an element. Also replaced the transaxle oil.
August 21, 2017 (83052)
With the engine still running poorly, I decided to look at the carburator again. Everything was clean and clear and all the jets save one were the correct size. The jet in question was the air correction jet. My books say it should be a 200, but it was a 130. With the advice from a good friend, I opened it up to 2.0mm.
WoW! Baby is a different car now! I don't have to keep the revs up when starting out and at any speed, in any gear, when I floor it she just accelerates!
August 22, 2017 (83060)
Had the wheels balanced. Seems the original rims have some damage, but the car rids so smooth now.
The alloy wheels that also came with the car are from an early Mazda Miata. They are being checked out at my auto service place.
The wheels turned out to be Pana Sport. Try to find 14" tires.....
August 25, 2017 (83076)
Installed Auto Meter oil pressure and oil temp gauges. Also installed relays for the horn, and head lights. This keeps the current from going through the ignition switch. The oil pressure is quite low on this engine because it is a roller crank. The gauge at the engine reads about 20 psi and the Auto Meter just before the oil cooler reads about the same. On the way home, about 4 miles, the temp got up to 70C (about 170F). At lease I now have a way to monitor the oil while on a lengthly excursion. The 1960 700's didn't have an oil idiot light.
November 6, 2017 (83428)
The clutch was slipping and seemed to be getting worse. Because there are two sizes (160mm & 180mm) I needed to pull the engine and see what size I had so I could procure the necessary parts.
Turned out to be a 160mm. The clutch disk was "weird" with no damper springs.
Not only that, but the F&S pressure plate had been reground and they ground right down to the heads of the pull studs. A couple of the studs shifted, and sticking up from the surface cut a groove in the clutch face. So, now in addition to loosing shut height which reduces spring pressure, there is 15% of the clutch face no longer working!
November 16, 2017
LuK NOS clutch and pressure plate installed.
I did not realize how much the dampinig springs in the clutch disk smooth out the power pulses from the engine. With the old (wrong) setup the car struggled to cruise in 4th gear at 45mph. Now it is even smooth at 40mph. It is once again a joy to drive!